However, the unfortunate truth in the aftermath of Saturday’s National Premier League Victoria men’s encounter between Melbourne Victory’s reserves and Green Gully says otherwise.
As reported by CODE Sports earlier in the week, a fan who was banned under Football Australia and Football Victoria guidelines attended the round eight clash at McEwen Reserve, known to Victory as a member of one of its ultras firms as well as the North Terrace active group.
The specific behavioural concern centred around the use of homophobic language towards Green Gully players and travelling supporters, as well as the use of flares.
However, while consideration was given to ejecting the already banned spectator, marshals drew the conclusion such a move would only serve to further risk the safety of security officers.
The patron in question was one of many issued bans in the wake of ugly scenes at a Melbourne Derby just before Christmas in 2022, where the game was abandoned following a pitch invasion where then-City keeper Tom Glover was struck with a bucket and concussed.
The club’s statement made clear its stance on fans disrupting the welcome feeling it seeks to provide.
“There is no place at Melbourne Victory for people that have a clear disregard for supporting our teams, the culture we have worked hard to build, or ensuring the entire community knows Melbourne Victory is a place of inclusivity,” the club said.
“As a club, we have a vision, standards, and values that the club will lead, unite, connect, and inspire through football, and we will fiercely protect the individuals who show up and demonstrate the values we hold dear at Melbourne Victory.”
It struck a poignant note, given the Victory’s A-League doubleheader with Adelaide United at the same time as this NPL clash last weekend under the backdrop of the Pride Cup.
Meanwhile, Football Victoria released its own statement committing to finding just how the barred spectator was present at all.
“We continue to work closely with all clubs to reinforce our expectations regarding spectators and code of conduct to ensure compliance with regulations, anti-social behaviour of any kind is unacceptable, and we remain committed to making our game a safe, inviting and enjoyable environment for all,” the body said.
“FV is working with Melbourne Victory and the venue to review match-day procedures and investigate how these individuals gained entry.
“This matter is currently under active review and investigation.”